Petroleum Engineers are at the forefront of ensuring that we have an abundant supply of oil and gas, in a safe and environmentally sustainable manner. With continued worldwide demand for energy, there is no better time to be a Petroleum Engineer. Petroleum Engineering is concerned with the exploration for and extraction of hydrocarbons, e.g. crude oil and natural gas. Petroleum Engineers use creative and imaginative knowledge of petroleum geology, reservoir behaviour as well as fundamental engineering principles to develop effective and safe solutions for the exploration, recovery and transportation of hydrocarbon products trapped underground,, and in very challenging environments.
Knowledge University (KNU) /Department of Petroleum Engineering (DPET) of Excellence for exploration and production of oil and gas is located in Erbil city in the heart of the energy industry in Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KRI), providing services for the regional markets. The distinctiveness of the Petroleum Engineering degree programme is provided by its combination of excellence in both engineering and in petroleum geoscience. With engineering at its heart, the programme draws upon well-established expertise in petroleum exploration and geoscience within the University, and the local oil and gas industry, to provide students with a multidisciplinary approach to addressing the challenges faced by petroleum engineers and the petroleum energy industry sector.
Petroleum engineering is an exciting field of professionals dedicated to providing energy that powers a modern society. The petroleum engineers look for oil and gas reservoirs beneath the earth's surface. They develop the best and most efficient methods of bringing those resources to the surface.
The (DPET) program in Knowledge University(KNU), is developed to serve the need of the Kurdistan region for exploration and production processes. The program is a combination of theoretical, practical and training aspects of petroleum engineering.
Our petroleum engineering program provides a foundation for professional development and the graduates should have the ability to work as petroleum engineers for oil and gas companies.
- We aim to deliver an inspirational learning experience and pioneering work with a practical emphasis. Our staff are innovative and creative practitioners who offer expertise in their field and bring their own energy and enthusiasm to their work. Their knowledge filters into our courses which are challenging and thought-provoking, making the Department of Petroleum Engineering and Knowledge University an exciting and stimulating place in which to learn. And a continuing program of the Department development ensures that students have access to one of the best facilities and equipment in the region. As a growing engineering department of petroleum and academic excellence, we are always pushing the boundaries of knowledge. We have a vibrant and rapidly growing teaching community with expertise in such diverse areas as Petroleum Geology, Drilling Engineering, Reservoir Engineering and Simulation, Engineering Production, and expertise in other engineering fields such as Materials Engineering, Fluid Flow and Engineering Design.
At DPET we strive that our graduates to attain:
- The ability to apply knowledge of Mathematics that is fundamental to technical petroleum problems.
- The ability to identify, formulate, and solve practical petroleum engineering problems.
- The ability to design petroleum processes and systems, to meet desired needs.
- The ability to conduct petroleum engineering experiments to study different petroleum engineering systems as well as to use laboratory instruments and computers to analyse and interpret data.
- The ability to function effectively within multidisciplinary teams.
- The ability to work in a professional petroleum engineering environment, and to understand the role of the petroleum industry in meeting world energy needs and the associated economical considerations while preserving the environment.
- The ability to communicate effectively in written, oral, and graphical forms, including the use of professional quality visual aids, all in English language.
DPET Vision Statement:
At Department of Petroleum Engineering of KNU we strive to foresee visions as
- The Department of Petroleum Engineering will be one of the distinguished petroleum departments in the region, renowned for the excellence, impact and distinctiveness of both its research and teaching. The department will become the engineering choice in Kurdistan and the region for students seeking a quality academic program with individualised attention in a high learning environment.
- The Department of Petroleum Engineering challenges its students and employees to think critically and independently, develop lifelong learning habits, acquire career skills, embrace diversity and become productive petroleum engineers in the regional and global community. We remain committed today to the goal of changing the Kurdistan Region for the better through the power and application of ideas and knowledge.
- The aspiration of the DPET is to see the energy industry transformed through our graduates with great knowledge and information by translating fundamental discovery into applied industry applications.
DPET Mission Statement:
Department of Petroleum Engineering (DPET) at Knowledge University mission is to educate and graduate engineers who have enough knowledge and grounded in the fundamental and specialised sciences.Students graduating from petroleum engineering program shall be well prepared to serve the oil and gas industry through their technical knowledge, which make the graduates capable of following different branches of petroleum engineering from exploration to production processes.
The graduates will be able to work in different divisions of the oil industry, such as exploration, drilling, reservoirs development, and production as well as refining and gas processing.
Program Educational Objectives:
The educational objectives of the petroleum engineering program are to produce graduates who will be ,within a few years of graduation:
- Engage in productive careers in petroleum engineering in public and private sectors and have the abilities to think and develop further knowledge in the field of oil industry from exploration to production and refinery.
- Effective engineers that continue to develop personally and professionally into prospective leaders.
- Successful in demonstrating their obligations to the profession and the society.
The program educational objectives are periodically reviewed by the department.The suggested changes are then discussed with the other programs for the feedback and approval.The aim of this periodic review is to continuously improve the program.
Program Learning Outcomes:
DPET graduate students will have:
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science and mathematics.
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions in petroleum engineering that meet specified needs for the oil industry with consideration of public health,safety,and welfare,as well as global,cultural,social,environmental,and economic factors.
- An ability to apply the knowledge of petroleum engineering to manage and implement engineering solutions in drilling ,reservoir development and production activities in the oil and gas industry.
- An ability to make plans for drilling of onshore and offshore wells, for recovery (primary and enhanced) of oil and gas from different types of reservoirs, or design and operation of production and injection wells, including processing on the seafloor and with use of permanent installations.
- An ability to contribute to planning for field development and operation, and to impact studies of petroleum fields.
- An ability to do further postgraduate studies (M.Sc.,or Ph.D.) and join regional and global universities.
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyse and interpret data,and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
- An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed,using appropriate learning strategies.
Beneficial Skills for DPET Program
Many skills are helpful when beginning an education in DPET. In particular, strong petroleum technical skills,teamwork skills,problem solving skills,ability to work under pressure,numerical and analytical skills,IT skills,good health and fitness..
Analytical skills refer to the ability to collect and analyse information,problem solve,and make decisions in petroleum engineering.These strengths can help solve a company problems and improve upon its overall productivity and success.Therefore,some basic analytical skills are very helpful when beginning an education in DPET. Among these are:Ability to collect,gather,visualise and analyse information in detail; ability to see a problem from different point of view;solve complex problems by making decisions in the effective way;be prepared to answer many(how) questions .
This skill is vital for students join the DPET program.Having strong analytical skills means nothing if the student cannot share his analysis with others.He needs to be an effective communicator that can explain the patterns he see in the data.Some times the student needs to explain information orally in a presentation or have to write a report. This needs fluent English language speaking and writing.
Language of Instruction:
The language of instruction at the DPET is English for all courses, except the Kurdistan Studies course where the language of study is Kurdish.
The DPET is following a semester based system implementing the Bologna Process. The method of study depends on lectures, reports, study groups, presentation and laboratory, practical sessions. Students will be taught in different ways, from the classroom to individual or small-group reflection. Our different teaching formats equip you to be an effective independent learner. The assessment is achieved via class workloads, mid-term exams, final exams, essays and reports. Students on the course will be spending time on independent study which includes preparation for lectures and seminars, follow-up work, wider reading, practice completion of assessment tasks, or revision.
In the first year of your English Language and Culture Bachelor's programme, tuition will be in the form of lectures and tutorials:
- Lectures are a way of getting an overview of a large amount of information in a short amount of time; you and your fellow students will be listening to an expert in the field.
- Tutorials give you a chance to actively engage with historical issues yourself. You may have to give a presentation or discuss a topic amongst yourselves or work on an assignment. There are plenty of opportunities for interaction and for asking questions.
The duration of the study at the DPET is 4 Academic years of full-time studies. Normally an academic year starts in the first week of September to the end of June next year.
Program Course Modules taught at the Department:
A bachelor's degree from DPET programs educates students fully in written and verbal elements of the English language, from creative writing to speech analysis. The following link provides a full list of Course Modules provided at this department. Each course has a standard course module code which is hyperlinked to its dedicated website for full details information on that particular course. Please note that on each course modules website you will also be directed to the Academic Profile of the lecturer providing the course.
Basic Courses (B)
The petroleum engineering undergraduate curriculum is designed to give you an established basic course . Department of Petroleum Engineering courses at the Knowledge University require basic courses within the requirements of the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research in the Kurdistan Region, where these courses are considered to be university requirements for the first stages in universities, and these courses are Kurdistan Studies, English language, Computer skills and Academic debates where students must complete the requirements of success in these courses in the first and second semesters of the first academic year.
Relevance Courses (R)
Before delving into your intensive petroleum engineering courses during your junior and senior years , you should have a good knowledge in the basic science in engineering subjects as a College of Engineering required courses . To name,important subjects to study include: physics, chemistry, general geology, engineering drawing , technical English, mathematics, thermodynamics, heat transfer, fluid mechanics,engineering mathematics,strength of materials,and mechanics.
and engineering statistics.
Core Courses (C)
The Department of Petroleum Engineering required core courses to introduce you to a body of knowledge and fundamental skills that are essential for you to master if you are to flourish as a talented petroleum engineer. As a core, we study geology and geophysics,production engineering(process equipment design,artificial lifts,well performance,natural gas engineering), drilling engineering(drilling operations,well engineering,and directional drilling), reservoir engineering(fluid flow through porous media,rock and fluid properties,well testing,enhanced oil recovery,field development, research methods and group project.
Electives Courses (E)
Elective courses allow you to be picky and select courses that fulfill a specific education requirement,may give you the opportunity to explore new hobbies and develop desirable career skills and abilities Check out a DPET program sheet for the full list of available classes.
Research Project / Writing in DPET
Final year project as the name suggests,is the project you have to complete in the final year before the end of your degree.Your graduation would not be completed if you fail to develop the final year project before the due date.This project is considered to be a formal assignment chosen by student or small group of students on a topic related to the curriculum and involves out-of-class research and development. At the end of the class, students demo their projects in front of the other students, course staff, and representatives from many local businesses and companies. The know-how of preparing your writing is provided in Knowledge University (KNU) 4th Year Students' Final Research Project (Please click to view the document).
Throughout the engagement with your research project, you will have regular meetings with your appointed supervisor. These meetings are designed to guide you with your project and make sure you fulfil the requirement of the work. Your supervisor and you are responsible to keep a record of your meeting and monitor your progress. There is a standard KNU supervision form which you can print and fill in here for every individual meeting. (Click to view)
⤷ Course Modules taught at DPET for the academic year 2020-2021 onward (Click to view)
KNU graduates' knowledge and skills embody principles which are effective communication, critical thinking and project management skills are central to most careers. The study of petroleum engineering courses and the practical program at KNU equips you with these skills and more, which translate readily into any work context. Apart from your knowledge of crude oil and natural gas, you will leave with the confidence and skills that come from successfully completing a demanding course and participating fully in university life. Nevertheless, the following areas are the popular career opportunity for a graduate from DPET, such as;
- Reservoir engineer
- Drilling engineer
- Petroleum Production engineer
- Well log ( Analyst) engineer
- Natural gas engineer
- Petroleum exploration engineer
- Petrochemical Engineer
Completing the requirements for studying and graduating from the Department of Petroleum Engineering ( DPET ) is just the first step and the beginning of an experience in the life of a beginner petroleum engineer , as it can become a future engineer specialising in more specialised , accurate fields and become a real source of professional success for your life at all levels in Petroleum industry . The field of development in exploration, drilling, and production techniques in the petroleum industry sector, and access to them, gives you the opportunity for continuing education on a large scale to suit different needs in your future career field. Where you can expand your skills using computer technologies and specialised software and target new skills your resources need and enable you to expand the limits of your knowledge.
In order to graduate with a bachelor’s degree in Petroleum Engineering, a student must successfully complete the following programme requirements:
- Acquire general program and course-specific learning outcomes
- Acquire optional course learning outcomes
- Prepare and defend the Bachelor’s research paper
- Dr. Jihad Keyany Abdulrahman ( Head of The Department )
- Dr. Falah Hussein Khalaf
- Dr. Safaa Hameed Mustafa
- Dr. Sudad Hameed Al-Obaidi
- Mr. Ziyad J.Talabany
- Mr. Abdul Nasser Mahmood Fatah
- Miss. Hiba Hussein Alwan
You can visit or communicate with our department via one of these methods,
- Department of Petroleum Engineering (DPET)
College of Engineering (CENG)
Knowledge University (KNU)
Kirkuk Road, Erbil EBL 446015
Kurdistan Region of Iraq
- Tel/Mobile: +964 (0) xxxxxxxx
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- URL: cedu.knu.edu.iq
About Knowledge University
Knowledge University (KNU) is a private university in the city of Erbil, Kurdistan Region of Iraq. KNU is providing higher education, research and consultancy via its programs such as Engineering, Science, Law, Business, Economy and Teacher Education. The university is renowned for holding one of the best campuses in Iraq with green sustainable knowledge and skills throughout its programs. KNU encourages its academic community to seek knowledge, affirm skills and ensure changes in their professional endeavour. KNU has the ambition to expand its program and become a leading educational institute of excellence. Please visit our campus on your next visit to Erbil, the capital city of Kurdistan Region of Iraq.
Document last edited 30th March 2020
About Knowledge University
Knowledge University (KNU) is a private university located in the city of Erbil, Kurdistan Region of Iraq. KNU provides diverse higher education, research and consultancy to all its students via such programs as Engineering, Science, Law, Business, Economy and Teacher Education. KNU is also renowned for maintaining one of the best quality campuses in Iraq with green, sustainable program objectives and outcomes throughout its activities. KNU encourages its academic community to seek knowledge, affirm skills and ensure excellence in their academic and professional achievements. KNU intends to expand its program and become a leading educational institute of science and humanities with e-Smart academic community.
Please visit our campus on your next visit to Erbil, the hub and capital city of Kurdistan Region of Iraq.